Thursday 17 August 2017

#RPGaDAY 2017 - Day 17 - game on my shelf of shame the longest.

Day 17 of #RPGaDay 2017. 

Which RPG have you owned the longest but not played?

My father was a gamer. I'm sure that's not so strange nowadays but back in the 70s when I was born it was pretty strange. He collected war games, Strategy & Tactics Magazine, Avalon Hill Bookcase games and yes even RPGs. Sadly my father never got to play any RPGs. He just couldn't find anyone else interested in it. While his extensive board game collection got played with family friends multiple times a year (Every New Year's Eve we go to The Brown's so my mom and dad could play board games with them while I played with the kids), his RPG collection never saw any use. That changed when I was 8 years old and snuck a peek at his copy of TSR Marvel Super Heroes when he was out of town on the bowling trip. After that trip, I asked if I could have his old games and he passed them on to me. In that set of games was the original printing of Gamma World from TSR.

Of all the games I inherited from him that's one that I never actually played. It's still sitting on one of my RPG bookcases to this day. While I've opened it up and flipped through it, I've never actually sat down and read it, let alone played a game with it. I honestly don't really know why. I think it just looked too dated. Typewriter font, lots of tables, not very interesting cover, interior art that just wasn't that evocative. Maybe sometime this year as part of #RPGaMonth I should at least read it. 


For those wishing to play along at home, here are the topics for this years #RPGaDay. Feel free to use these cues in your tweets, facebook posts, g+ threads, blog posts and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment